Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
Only after we have a firm understanding of your needs and goals, compensation for our services can take on one of these four forms:
* Fee – Fee for the engagement. This could be a flat fee or an hourly fee.
* Fee arrangement – Management fee based upon your assets.
* Commission – if there were a particular product that fit your situation, we would be able to implement a product where the product company compensates us.
* Hybrid – Combination approach
Each implementation strategy has its benefits and its draw backs. The key catalyst for making a decision is based on your situation.
* Some people seek financial planning when a material life changing event has occurred or is expected to occur. Such events could be: Marriage, retirement, college planning, a death in the family, divorce, or the birth or adoption of a child.
* Sometimes, people need financial planning guidance when they are evaluating the financial merits of changing jobs, buying or selling a business, or purchasing a new home.
* Financial Planning can be extended to business owners as they seek to evaluate their current or prospective retirement plans, executive compensation, succession planning, or employee education.
* Others choose to create a retainer arrangement to have various financial planning services for their situation on an ongoing basis.
Diversifying advisors may provide you insight to the different levels of service other investment professionals provide. However, this perceived diversification may result in inadequate financial planning due to a lack of knowledge of holdings elsewhere, as well as potentially unsuitable investment allocations due to the lack of knowledge of material changes to your account(s) with other institutions. The investor also may be able to save on overall investment related expenses by consolidating accounts and taking advantage of relative economies of scale.
Client: Now, more than ever, a client wants ‘‘peace of mind’’ when it comes to the safety of financial assets.
Financial Professional: A registered representative is an independent business owner who provides financial guidance to their clients and is typically paid a commission when you purchase a financial product. An Investment Advisor Representative (IAR) is an independent business owner who provides financial guidance to their clients and is generally paid a fee for either managing assets, giving advice, or both.
Investment Firm: A broker-dealer processes the commission business of registered representatives licensed with the firm and holds responsibility for regulatory compliance and adherence to securities laws. A Registered Investment Adviser (RIA) processes the fee-based business of IARs licensed with the firm and holds responsibility for regulatory compliance and adherence to securities laws.
Custodian: Pershing LLC, National Financial Services, LLC, and select firms provide the trade execution, clearing, custody, and other services for securities and related transactions.
Your Investments: Mutual funds, managed accounts, stocks, bonds, etc.